We're looking for someone who is committed to making a difference, and is willing to work hard and learn fast to make it happen. Our communications department is a small and nimble team: we work closely together, often juggling multiple projects on tight deadlines, and we need someone who will thrive in this environment. Above all, we're looking for energy and enthusiasm, a willingness to learn, and team spirit. Sense of humor and ability to make nerdy communications jokes is a plus.
Candidates from frontline communities are especially encouraged to apply.
Learning the issues well enough to write confidently about them will take a bit of time and upfront investment; we therefore ask that you commit to at least 15 hours per week for at least three months in the PAN Oakland office. Below is a general description of the work, but we imagine tailoring to meet your specific strengths and interests.
Essential Job Functions
- Online Outreach: Coordinate efforts and curate content for social media outreach (esp. Twitter & Facebook) and Google AdWords.
- Communications & Campaigns Research: Conduct target- and market-specific online influencer research to support campaign objectives;
- Other Team Support: Proofing, data entry, cataloging photos, printing and scheduling meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Very strong online research skills and/or drive.
- Familiarity with social media platforms preferred.
- Experience with Google Applications.
- Ability to work in diverse teams, manage time and workload effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Good organizational skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Understanding of environmental health, social justice and/or food system reform is strongly preferred; passion around these issues is even better.
Reports to the Communications Associate and has working relationships with Communications team & other staff.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, or pursuing one and/or 2-3 years related work experience.
- Some work or volunteer experience.
- Experience in working in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
PAN is committed to working internationally and addressing structural and systemic inequities. Accordingly, it is our policy to actively seek a diverse pool of candidates, from a variety of backgrounds, who are committed to our mission and vision.
There is no stipend associated with intern positions at PAN; however, we do reimburse any local commuting costs.
- Excellent springboard for those seeking career in environmental journalism or professional communications work.
- Strengthened research, writing and production skills.
- Connections to individuals within the field.
- Increased understanding of pesticide, sustainable agriculture, environmental science, social justice and international development issues.
- Experience in an established non-profit structure.
- Increased understanding of effective routes to progressive reform.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
- A cover letter indicating that you wish to apply for the Communications/Online Outreach Intern position that demonstrates your combination of creativity and marketing instincts. Include why you want to work with PAN and what experience/skills you hope to gain, your available dates, and number of hours per week you wish to work. Please also include where you learned of the position.
- A current resume highlighting your experience and/or coursework relevant to the position.
- A brief writing sample, preferably online content.
- Contact information for two references (name, phone, e-mail, relationship).